July 25, 2004

The Human Chain

Here's the story.

And it really was that great. The buses, about 8 from our Yishu alone,left from our Yishuv at about 4:15; it took us over two hours to reach our destination; normally a 40 minute ride. No place to buy food, no bathrooms, streets and fields and people. Deeply committed people from all walks of life, of all ages. I saw a man on crutches, and many pregnant women and women with young babies. Men in black hats and suits, women in pants with uncovered hair.

There was such a wonderful feeling of Achavat Yisroel, love of Israel. We waved at helicopters and cars honking the horns in support, trying to find a spot to join us.A note was passed from the begining of the chain to the kotel, hand to hand. At 7 we held hands, and raised them aloft, singing Ha Tikvah, the Israeli national anthem, and Ani Mamin; I believe. At 7:30 we had to begin boarding our bus to go home. I think most of us felt a sense of disappointment that it was over so soon; we were all one; how could we break apart?

I have family in Gush Katif; by a blood deeper than family names. They are fellow Jews and we are one. They live on land they purchased,in houses that they love.

It was an honor and a privelege to be there, standing up for their right to live free and without fear.

I know there were chains in other places. If you took part in a chain, please let me know how it went.

As for me, I'm tired, and thirsty and hungry; but also happy and hopeful.

|


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?